Vetiver essential oil was first discovered as useful for many of its physical healing benefits. However, today, many aromatherapists enjoy vetiver for its array of emotional and spiritual benefits as well!
Vetiver was used as an ancient remedy for many skin and bodily conditions, including eczema, acne, inflammation of skin and joints, arthritis, fevers, heart stroke, and headache. In ancient oriental medicine, vetiver was known to have a calm and cool energy, as it clears heat from the body and heated energy from an area, and also calm and uplift the emotions.
Vetiver works excellently for balancing both the crown and root chakras. It helps to calm and ground a hyperactive mind and nurture an insecure mind by allowing one to release from pyramids of thought and “be present in this moment.”
– Botanical Name: Chrysopogen Zizanioides
– Botanical Family: Gramineae
– Derived From: Roots from Vetiver Grass
– Origin: South India
– Method of Extraction: Steam Distilled from the Roots
– Aroma: Earthy, Musty, Smoky, Herbaceous, Spicy
– Physical Description: Dark Brown, Thick Consistency Liquid
– Reiki Charged: All of the essential oils offered by Miracle Botanicals are Reiki charged by Hope Johnson. The Vetiver essential oil is charged with intent to ground the mind, uplift one’s spirit, and nurture the body!
– Emotions: Vetiver essential oil is used most commonly as a sedative. It helps to release nervous tension, anxiety, anger, restlessness, insomnia, and depression. The oil helps one to release by calming and releasing the mind. Through this, the oil is able to show one that everything is right and perfect in the present moment. Vetiver is also excellent for coping with fear and stress! The oil acts as an excellent aphrodisiac, as it cures sexual disorder, such as frigidity, impotence, and lack of libido. The oil stimulates the brain and instills arousing emotions in the right moments!
– Skincare: Vetiver essential oil is cicatrizing, and anti-septic. A cicatrizing substance is one that heals a wound by forming new tissues on and around the affected area. Therefore, vetiver can be used for stretch marks, burns, and dark spots on the skin. Vetiver, also being an anti-septic, is extremely effective for acne treatment and healing. The oil is also very nourishing and hydrating for the skin and moistens any dryness or cracking of the skin. When used on sensitive skin and facial areas, the oil should always be diluted in a nourishing carrier oil, such as argan, watermelon, or grapeseed.
– Physical: Vetiver essential oil is known as a wonderful tonic for the nerves, by healing the nerves and healing previous damage done to the nerves, caused by stress, fear, and shock. The oil also helps rid of any disorders which have to do with the nerves, including hysteria, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, and lack of control over the limbs. As an anti-septic, the oil assists with wound healing by inhibiting microbial growth on an infected area. It also assists with regeneration of any necessary tissues for optimum wound healing. Vetiver is also a known tonic for the body, as it heals and boosts every system in the body, including the systems for digestion, nerves, endocrine, immunity, respiratory, circulatory, neurotic, and excretory. The oil has been revealed as having an effect on lowering heart rate and rapid breathing, while helping the respiratory system return to a calm state. Vetiver can be used for many different aches and pains throughout the body, including menstrual cramps, in order to maintain excellent health, immunity, rejuvenation, and strength!
– Spiritual: Vetiver essential oil is excellent for purifying one’s energy field, as it was used in ancient Chinese medicine for clearing heated energies. The oil is also very grounding, as it brings a hyperactive and an insecure mind to ease, by centering one’s thoughts and increasing focus on what is happening at the present moment. Vetiver also increases psychic protection and boosts intuition. The oil can be added to both grounding and crown chakra stimulant blends, as it clears, centers, calms, and opens the mind and body!
– First Chakra: Root Chakra – In the first chakra, vetiver essential oil helps with feelings of isolation from others. The oil assists by healing feelings of depression, anxiety, and fear.
– Second Chakra: Sacral Chakra – Vetiver assists in balancing the second chakra by dispersing and cleansing a person or area of negativity, while boosting one’s self esteem.
– Third Chakra: Solar Plexus Chakra – In the third chakra, vetiver helps us recognize our inner wisdom by connecting with our higher wisdom and “gut feelings.”
– Seventh Chakra: Crown Chakra – Vetiver allows us to meditate and quiet the mind in order to fully open the seventh chakra and receive Divine energy.
– Physical Wood: Yellow, Brown, Green
– Oil: Brown
– Etheric: Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue
Methods of Usage:
– Neat: Place a drop or two directly onto clean and intact skin. A couple drops on the wrists, shoulders, temples or neck imparts a strong woodsy and honey-like aroma. Note: This oil should not be used undiluted on facial skin!
– Blended with Carrier: Use 5-8 drops per 1 TBL of carrier oil such as grapeseed, rosehip, jojoba or hazelnut oils, and massage over any area where you would like for healing to occur.
– Bath: Place 3-5 drops into 3 handfuls of bath salt and disperse, or add 8 drops to vodka or whole milk and disperse.
– Shower: Soak for at least 3 minutes in steamy shower, then with the water off or turned away from the body, allow 3-5 drops to fall in the palm of the hand and distribute all over wet body (not face). The oil will penetrate very quickly, and the body can be rinsed again, or not.
– Diffusor: Follow diffusor manufacturer’s instructions, but typically add about 8 drops.
– Room Deodorizer: Add 10 drops per 2oz distilled water and spray as desired.