The Low Down on Helichrysum Gymnocephalum
The common thread that runs through all 600 plus varieties of Helichrysum is the heritage of the word “Helichrysum”, which stems from the Greek derivation of the name, “Helios” meaning sun and “chrysos” meaning gold. Each species of these golden flowers of the sun have fewer similarities than differences and they can all be used in a wide range of applications to pinpoint very specific healing purposes.
Helichrysum Gymnocephalum stands out from other varietals of Helichrysum due to its unique chemical profile and therapeutic properties, which specifically differentiates it from its more popular H. Italicum variety. Our Gymnocephalum hails from the mountains of Madagascar where the wild shrubs of the Helichrysum plant produce aromatic small yellow flowers that have a bright, camphorous aroma reminiscent of eucalyptus. The branches of these bushes are covered in fine white hairs that get harvested to steam-distill this oil.
This oil essence is a wonderful aid for treating any issues relating to breathing, circulation, and congestion. Due to this stimulating medicine’s high concentration of 1,8 cineole or eucalyptol, it tends to uplift and revive, while clearing the air and opening bronchial passages, so you can rest and breathe easy.
• Botanical Name: Helichrysum Gymnocephalum
• Botanical Family: Asteraceae
• Derived From: Small Yellow Shrub Flowers
• Origin: Madagascar
• Method of Extraction: Steam Distilled
• Aroma: Fresh, Clean, Camphorous
• Physical Description: Clear with Yellow Tinge and Thin Consistency
- Emotions: Gymnocephalum lends particularly well to balancing emotions and relieving emotional discomfort and frustration. It tends to coincide with feelings of freedom and release and can help when ill feelings linger and seem to have trouble dissipating, particularly after any emotional or physical trauma. The vivid scent of H. Gymnocephalum can calm the air, open your lungs and create an inspiring, fresh atmosphere.
- Skincare: While Helichrysum Italicum, is typically better suited for topical application regarding ailments of the skin and wound-healing, the Gymnocephalum variety also has something to offer in that regard. Gymnocephalum can be used to increase circulation and promote wound healing and recovery. It is particularly helpful for inflammation of the joints and can ease long term arthritic and rheumatic pain associated with bone or nerve damage. Its properties can also detoxify the skin and rid it of harmful bacteria that cause blemishes and decrease its natural youthfulness and glow. Caution: Be sure to dilute this oil with a carrier before topical application due to its high eucalyptol content.
- Physical: Helichrysum Gymnocephalum has been known for many years as an herbal remedy to help ease sore muscles and release tension throughout the body due to its strong inflammation reduction capabilities. Colds, the flu, and seasonal sickness don’t stand a chance in the face of Helichrysum Gymnocephalum which can help to break down mucus and clear any blockages in the respiratory tract as well as reduce pain and treat residual infections.
- Spiritual: Gymnocephalum is particularly well suited for opening, clearing and cleansing your mental space. This oil promotes spirituality in general and elevates the senses, sharpening pleasurable experiences, while dulling discomfort and stresses. Also conducive to heart-opening and sensual practices due to its balancing and pleasure expanding applications.
Third Chakra - Solar Plexus
This oil represents the physical elements of vitality, healing, and motivation and its vitality is mirrored in this third chakra’s sentiments. The ability to heal and look confidently into a positive future of health and well-being are present in the medicinal smell and topical implications of Helichrysum Gymnocephalum. This oil also has the capability of aiding in digestion and clearing any baggage that might be held onto in the digestive tract, helping to release echoes of past trauma and experience life in real-time. The golden color of the flowers and the reference to the sun in its name bring to mind the yellow color represented by this chakra and lead to feelings of happiness and overall health.
Fifth Chakra - Throat
Due to this oil’s ability to clear the bronchial systems and open up air passages for deep healing breath, it tends to expand the throat chakra leading to self-expression, communication, and clarity of intent and purpose. Allowing your full voice to be heard loud and clear to yourself and others is an important step towards mental health and this oil can turn up the volume on awareness and perspective. This chakra is also associated with the color blue or turquoise which can be likened to an elevated state of being and ethereal feelings.