How to Meditate with Essential Oils
This article is about How to Meditate with Essential Oils from my own personal experience. Your experience may be different, so if you feel inspired please use this as a guideline and see for yourself what is useful from your unique point of view.
Meditation is the most natural state. Whats unnatural is identification with any of the thoughts that pass like clouds in the sky of awareness.
What keeps meditation from happening is belief that the thoughts occurring in the mind define the self.
For instance, theres a thought that says I am meditating now, and then theres a thought that says I’m not meditating, Im thinking.
The truth is that there is no I that can be defined by thought. There is only pure awareness. The experience of being pure awareness is mediation.
Essential oils can help uncover the natural state of being because they communicate through aroma and energy the essence of self which is before the thinking mind. When the thinking mind is experienced as non-personal and non-local, negative influences, limitations and unhealthy habit patterns are naturally dissolved, thus opening the mind to blessings beyond belief, and ultimately enlightenment.
Here are some examples of how meditate with essential oils and tap in to this wondrous power:
- Using a Nebulizing Diffuser, diffuse Wisdom & Stillness Essential Oil Blend. Alternatively, diffused oils may consist of a Citrus (Lemon, Lime, Bergamot, Mandarin), Frankincense or Ravensara as a base and then add a few drops of something more tenacious like Cape Chamomile, Rose Otto, Galbanum or Neroli.
- With awareness of breathing and reverence, massage a grounding essential oil on the soles of the feet, such as Spikenard, Vetiver, Hawaiian Sandalwood, Buddha Wood, Greenheart Wood, Wisdom & Stillness Essential Oil Blend, Forgiving Essential Oil Blend and/or Myrrh.
- Drop some Frankincense or Mountain Juniper on the crown of the head to help quiet the mind and/or take a deep inhalation of Unity Essential Oil Blend and dab some just below the hairline on the forehead.
- Dab some Helichrysum Italicum, Agarwood aka OUD, Melissa, Neroli, Cape Chamomile, Davana, Wisdom & Stillness Essential Oil Blend, Forgiving Essential Oil Blend, Integrity Essential Oil blend on the temples and wrists to help penetrate through deeply ingrained habits of thought.
- Dab some Rose Otto, Heart Essential Oil Blend, Spikenard, or Neroli on the heart chakra at the center of the sternum to encourage the hearts wisdom to come forth.
Training the Mind to Reject Fantasy and Recognize Your True Identity:
Once your chosen essential oils are in place, you’re ready to meditate with essential oils. Sit perfectly still (or practice a moving meditation such as yoga or tai chi or breath meditation) and focus your attention on the aromas and the flow of the breath. Don’t try to change anything about your breathing. Just notice it.
Notice where the breath enters near the tip of your nose and notice how it feels as the breath flows in and out of your body. Again, don’t try to change anything about the breath, and don’t try to analyze it.
Whether your breath is deep or shallow, labored or easy doesn’t matter. Just notice. Thoughts will come, and when you become aware that thinking is happening, see if you can sense the essential oils aromas and the flow of the breath that breathes your body once more.
Keep returning the focus of your attention like this again and again. Don’t get distracted by thoughts about the mind being led astray, or for how long you have been thinking. These are just more thoughts that should be regarded the same as all others. simply keep returning to the sense of smell and sensation of breath.
It doesn’t matter how long or how often the mind is led astray. Every time you bring it back to focus on present moment sensations, unconscious habit patterns are being dissolved and consciousness is returning to the natural state of being.
This can be done with or without a timer. You might want to start with 5 minutes and work up from there. Any amount of time invested in this way pays dividends forever.
Enjoy your practice, and eventually you will be able to carry it with you throughout all of the particulars of your life.
Power to your Practice and much Aloha!!