Are Essential Oils Safe for Cats?
For some cats, essential oils can be a great option to support health, calm them, and reduce anxiety or bad behaviors. However, each cat is unique, and cats in general cannot tolerate many essential oils.
Essential oils should also be used sparingly with cats.
Here are a few of our favorite essential oils for cats:
- Cedarwood essential oil is known for its insect repellent properties, and it’s also revered as a calming oil. If your cat has contracted fleas or brought in bugs, you can diffuse this oil or dilute cedar essential oil into a mist spray or bath. You can also diffuse this safely around your cat to calm him or her.
- Lavender essential oil is calming to humans, cats, and dogs. Diffuse this for a calmer home, especially if you have a kitten or multiple cats who fight.
- Rosemary essential oil is another great insect repellant, and can also help with irritated skin or rashes.
4. Frankincense essential oil is a known cancer fighter and it’s no different for cats. Frankincense essential oil is great in fighting off germs, boosting immunity, and even boosting mood in cats.
How to use essential oils for cats
- Use essential oils in a diffuser or in a diluted spray at first. This can ensure your cat doesn’t get too much essential oil exposure and can help you determine the right strength.
- Hydrosols are great essential oil options for cats. These are water-based essential oil products that have all the aromatic and healing properties of pure essential oil, but are suspended in a water mixture.
- Never apply essential oils near a cat’s eyes, nose, or mouth, nor should you let cats ingest oils.
- Watch your cat for any signs of toxicity. This includes lethargy, watering eyes, itching, gagging or vomiting, drooling, or lack of coordination are all signs you should stop using essential oils and get your pet to a vet.
Essential oils that are not safe for cats
- Clary Sage
- Tea tree
- Ylang Ylang
If you have a concern that a particular essential oil isn’t safe for your furry feline, don’t use it. You should also only purchase authentic, pure essential oil if you decide to use them with your cat.
This guarantees purity and can reduce the odds of a poor reaction. Miracle Botanicals offers a wide range of essential oils and hydrosols that are therapeutic grade for you and your kitty.
Leave a comment